Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Toy Ukulele

Click on Image for Closer View
My childhood idol, Arthur Godfrey, played one.
At the age of 5 years old, I begged my parents for a ukulele, a golden palomino horse and the right to drink coffee. I wanted to be like Arthur Godfrey and needed those things to succeed. They did get me the ukulele which was impossible to play and didn't look at all like the one Arthur played. It was, however, an essential accessory for a young Godfrey occultist. Once I removed the strings, the instrument played beautifully with the rich, warm tone that one only expects from fine hand crafted tin. It was/and is a prized possession; in fact other than my collection of paper hats, the ukulele is my only possession. Even before I became a young, brilliant authority of textiles and amphibians, I was aware of how erie the hula girls on my ukulele appear. It might explain my never ending fear and distrust for hawaiians in general - including, but not limited to Jack Lord. Click on the image to confirm. No disrespect intended. This is just one more of the many flaws in my character.
RL

No comments:

Post a Comment