Sunday, August 8, 2010

THE SON OF ROBIN HOOD - The Merry Men (Image File)

At the age of 6 years old, I was given this excellent, promotional record with the purchase of a new pair of shoes. Not a balloon, a plastic whistle or a lollypop, but an actual record! Finally I owned my own record and I played it on our family record box more than often. I was, and am, so proud of this record. I never saw the 1958 classic movie, yet in my feeble mind I envisioned nothing less than greatness. As I grew older, and due to my introduction to the magnificent BBC broadcasts of Monty Python's Flying Circus, the Dennis Moore skit in particular, my adventuresome images changed to those of folly and disrespect.

The flip side, which didn't interest me much, but is actually quite good, is The Roots Of Heaven (Minna's Theme) featuring Malcolm Arnold with the London Royal Philharmonic. I'll probably post this one in the not so distant future.

Amazingly, this record has stayed with me, intact, all of these years and has given me a life time of opportunities to annoy dozens of people. And yes, I'm wearing the shoes.
RL

No comments:

Post a Comment