Saturday, August 14, 2010

Wooden etching & carvings

Of Unknown Origin
This wonderfully weird etching was given to me some years ago by a great friend. I don't know anything about its history.


Of Unknown Origin
This Tiki like carving hung from the rear view mirror of my older brother's teen car. It went missing. Somehow it ended up in my possession; most likely because I swiped it.


My brother Leon (left), his friend Tom (right) and the teen car/crime scene (background).



Carving by Bobby Lewis Jr.
I was so taken by the Tiki like carving I'd so boldly taken from my brother, that I had to try my hand at creating my own version. I painted mine because the wood didn't look dark & mysterious, also because I was young imbecile. I hadn't heard of wood staining and even if I had, I doubt that I'd have had the patience and/or talent to stain wood. Like the great Carrie Fisher once said, "Instant gratification takes too long." As bad as my Tiki carving turned out, I'm amazed that I was able to complete it without needing several hundred stitches.
RL

No comments:

Post a Comment