Thursday, May 21, 2009

Great Animals - The ANT LION

THE ANT LION
This remarkable creature has always been marked highly on my list of favorites. My cousins and I would find these little denizens of the sand on the beaches of Ludington MI. We'd push ants into the "funnel of doom," but most of the time, the ants would crawl out un-scathed. Those who didn't escape became a nourishing entree for the Ant Lion larva that huddled in the sand at the bottom of the funnel. I didn't realize that the Ant Lion larva/*doodlebugs matured into a beautiful airborne insect. I wanted them to maintain their larva look, grow to the size of Russian Wolf Hounds, dig larger funnels of doom and entrap sun bathers and other beach guests.
RL

* Not to be confused with the Doodlebops: DeeDee Doodle, Rooney Doodle and Moe Doodle are a Canadian musical trio who have their own TV spot "The Doodlebops" featured on the Disney channel.


1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Would you please tell me which book you have taken this picture from? I used to look at the pictures of this book, and I don't have access to it anymore. One of the few pictures I still remember is the one here, from ant lion, you have posted here.

    You can also contact me via tayebie@gmail.com

    I would truly appreciate it if you can help me with that.

    Sincerely,

    T.

    ReplyDelete